Entries in Guitarist (2)
It is probably very wrong to get so excited about an iPad accessory before we have even seen it, but we felt the same way about the iO Dock from Alesis and their new AmpDock, designed specifically for guitar and bass players, has got us in a stupor again.
Basically a slightly cut down version of their iO Dock, Alesis have made the AmpDock more robust for live use. AmpDock features an enclosing cover on the fourth side so that you iPad isn't exposed on the top edge, as it was on the iO Dock.
There's also a handy little kickstand on the back to angle the AmpDock when it is sat on top of your amp and to allow clearance of the amp's handle. If you have ever tried balancing your iPad on top of your amp you'll know how useful and reassuring this feature will be.
But the main thing that got us excited was the inclusion of a pedalboard controller in the $299 price!
This is a great boon and means that, for the iPad-owning musician, AmpDock is ready to rock (or not, depending on your guitar style) out of the box without any further expenditure.
More details and specs below, after the teaser video from Alesis:
AmpDock Key Features
- The first professional guitar processor to use your iPad or iPad 2 for signal processing
- Works with GarageBand, AmpliTube, JamUp, and virtually any audio or CoreMIDI app
- Includes a rugged pedalboard controller with program, effect, bypass, volume and continuous controls
- Guitar Input 1 and switchable Mic/Line/Guitar Input 2; professional outputs, and MIDI jacks
- Kickstand allows for stable positioning on top of guitar amps
- Hinged door completely encloses and secures your iPad
- Mountable to a mic stand using the Alesis Module Mount (sold separately)
- 1/4" high-impedance guitar input and combo input for microphone, second guitar, or another instrument
- 1/4" outputs with Guitar/Line impedance switch
- Stereo auxiliary outputs for connection to external effects
- Two assignable endless knobs to control parameters in compatible apps
- Analog Input 1, Input 2, Main, and Headphone volume controls
- MIDI input and outputs and USB MIDI jack for use with other controllers and MIDI software or hardware
- (1) - High Impedance Guitar Input
- (1) - XLR/ 1/4" Combo Jack for switchable for Guitar, Line Level, and Phantom Power
- (2) - 1/4" unbalanced Auxiliary Outputs
- (2) - 1/4" balanced Outputs (1) - 1/4" Stereo Headphone Output
- Ground Lift Switch
- Class Compliant USB 1.1 and 5-pin DIN MIDI I/O
- True Bypass
We have seen some pretty amazing iOS music creations over the last few months, but Purple Haze by iFourmance is easily one of the best yet. Watch the entire track and then remind yourself that every instrument is in fact an iPhone running mostly Guitarist, Bassist or Organist by the legendary MooCowMusic.
Mark Terry of MooCowMusic was so 'blown away by this performance' that he had to fire up his copy of Guitarist just to check that is was indeed possible to play that riff.
You can pick up an entire album of iFourmance tracks on iTunes. The full album even includes a couple of video performances.
Congratulations to both MooCowMusic and iFourmance for pushing back the boundaries of iOS music creation. It's hard imagine where all this might end up in a few years from now. Who would have thought that multi-touch would have such a huge impact on music creation? Actually, we did.